Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blog Assignment #3

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.
- The book defines "to give an arguments" as "to offer a set of reasons or evidence in support of a conclusions." In others words, Weston wants us to view giving arguments as supporting details, or premises towards our own view.

2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”?
- Weston claims arguments are essential because there are no such thing as pointless arguments. He reasons that views are totally different from one another, and are never evenly argued. Arguments use detailed views to reason why one view is better than the other. Once your down to the conclusion, the arguments is what gives reasons and details bout your conclusion.

3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.
- Students tend to write an essay instead of an argument essay is mainly because they do not understand the small difference between a simple essay and an argumentive essay. Students are accustomed to always use straight up facts into essays, but in an argumentive your own personal reasons is what makes an argumentive essay argue.

4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".
- Against
Arguable Issue: Should hybrid classes be permitted for high schoolers?
Conclusion: Hybrid classes should not be allowed for high schoolers.
Premises: Hybrid classes should not be allowed for high schoolers because;
(1) It can cause more problems concerning of plagerism, and cheating,
(2) It can cause students to slack off more and become lazy, and
(3) Not everyone has access to the internet, or a computer.

- For
Arguable Issue: Should hybrid classes be permitted for high schoolers?
Conclusion: Hybrid classes should be allowed for high schoolers.
Premises: Hybrid classes should be allowed for high schoolers because;
(1) Gives students a more flexible schedule,
(2) Gives students more experience on computers and internet, and
(3) Can give students a break from the usual pencil and paper work.

5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above.
- I reviewed each of the seven rules and added it correctly into my 2 short arguments. Rule #1 is distinguishing premises and conclusion, I have that rule clearly labeled above. Rule #2 is to present my ideas in natural order, my "against" section is in natural order, but my "for" section doesnt have much of an order, because the premises dont unfold as easily. Rule #3 is having reliable premises, and my premises are fairly good reasons. Rule #4 is be concrete and concise, my arguments are pretty straight forward. Rule #5 is avoiding loaded language, and like I said for the last rule, mine is pretty straight forward. Rule #6 is using consistent terms are evenly used. Finally Rule #7 is sticking to the meaning of each term, and also like I said before, mine is pretty straight forward.

6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.
- I took these rules and constructed my argument a bit better. I didnt use over loaded words but I was still specific enough to make it clear to the reader without contesting the term. I also didnt use definitions to explain everything to my readers, I clearly stated that for both "for" and "against."

7. Good posts demonstrate:
Sincere reflection, effort, and analysis

Answers that are substantial (at least one large paragraph each)

Consistent mention, citation, and integration of the assigned readings (explained in YOUR own words, though)
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation

Correctly titled posts!
How many points do you honestly feel your post this week deserves? Justify your answer.

- I honestly feel i deserve a 23 out of 25, or atleast a "B". I put almost everything into my own words, and also added my own personal reasonings into each answer. Most of my answers are atleast a paragraph long, or somewhat extended and detailed senteneces, I might have missed acouple of grammar and punctuation, that where some points will probably be marked off. Im also pretty sure I have the right title.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Supa!

    Nice work; I appreciate that you considered all 7 rules in your response to #5. Thanks! :) KJP

    ReplyDelete